Senior Software Engineer - BackendStarmi
Run Game Liveops
Take part in building the systems that make games run online, working from server to client to write services that are run on the cloud back to your APIs.
Architect and Implement
Contribute to technology design
and selection for our backend services, building web interfaces to administer those services and configure games.
Solve Complex Problems
Although your focus is on the backend, there will be opportunities to develop across all game areas — allowing you to broaden your skills
as an engineer.
Starmi is looking for an experienced Backend Software Engineer (C++ and Unreal Engine experience required) with a strong desire to contribute to every aspect of development, and who knows what it means to take responsibility and deliver excellent results. You have the skills and knowledge to build and support systems with large user volumes, and you can translate that into functioning code that our players can enjoy.
Joining us means being part of a team with the passion and inherent drive to create innovative, high-performing games. We are intellectually curious and excited to apply the latest game development innovations to our projects. In this role, you will have the opportunity to be part of an entrepreneurial environment that embraces new and different ideas. Everyone at Starmi is excited about creating the best mobile games possible, and we empower one another to learn and grow from our collective experiences. All of this means more chances for you to unleash your ingenuity, energy, collaboration, and dedication.
- Involvement in all areas of server development, including cloud services and frameworks, architecture planning, implementation, deployment, maintenance, open source frameworks, and Linux
- Create and support lightweight systems documentation and tools
- Write clear, maintainable, and portable code that can scale to millions of active users
- Independently design and develop complete solutions from scratch
- Proactively identify technical risks and issues for the team
- Understand and articulate the trade-offs between technical and design; solve for the best player experience
- 5+ years of professional game development experience or experience developing server-side containerized applications (written in C++)
- Cloud solutions experience, hosting services such as AWS, Azure, or Google
- Experience with noSQL, memcache systems, kubernetes, Jenkins, other related tools.
- Experience and knowledge of REST API development and interaction, microservices
- Mastery of C++ and experience with C#, Python, and other languages
- Capacity to teach, learn from, and build connections with experienced developers from diverse backgrounds (even if not in games or from a non-technical background)
- Thrive in an environment of independence and responsibility without assigned tasks
- Great interpersonal skills; an open and respectful attitude towards others and their work
- IMPORTANT: All applicants, regardless of experience, must be willing to take and pass a test evaluating your relevant skills.
- 7+ years of applicable games industry experience
- Graduate (or higher) education in the field of Computer Science
- Experience with writing multi-threaded / scalable code.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401K Match
- Unlimited PTO
- Daily Lunch
- Flexible Schedule
- Gym Membership
- Great Location
- and More!
Our team at Starmi enjoys best-in-class benefits and amenities, which include competitive compensation, profit-sharing plans, 401(k) with matching contributions, medical, dental, vision, and more. At the studio, we make sure your favorite snacks and beverages are stocked. We also offer free gym memberships, as well as a great creative environment located at Atlantic Station with shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. To apply, please complete the entire form below.
Application for Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Frequently Asked Questions
With COVID-19, are you accepting applications for remote employment?
While everyone is encouraged to work remote during the pandemic, all positions require relocation to Atlanta, Georgia within 30 days of acceptance. Once you move here, you may continue to work from home or come into the studio — the decision will be up to you until we feel it’s safe to return.
Do you offer relocation assistance?
Yes, we provide reimbursement for qualified relocation expenses up to a specified cap in your offer letter.
I heard Starmi is "flat," what does that mean?
That’s correct; we don’t use formal job titles (except for certain outward facing roles) and there are no managers. When you are surrounded by people with substantial knowledge, skills, and experience in their disciplines, it’s better to trust them and move out of the way than to manage them. Of course, this leads to greater responsibility and risk in the hands of individuals, but we enjoy this model and feel it works well to remove traditional barriers that sometimes stifle creativity and greatness.
I'm worried about joining a start-up. How can I know if it's right for me? What if you run out of funding?
Starmi is well-capitalized, and our CEO maintains a strong relationship with our investor. But, of course, there are no guarantees our studio will continue forever — which is true for most businesses (even very successful, large studios have layoffs). You shouldn’t worry about funding, but instead focus on what it means to be an entrepreneur with us.
Game development is challenging, and you will work a lot. If that doesn’t bother you and you’re passionate about making games with people who love them, watching anime in theaters, discussing anime in great detail, collecting waifus/husbandos in gacha games, and giving your very best even if that means less time for other things, then we might be a fit for you. If you aren’t bothered by ambiguity, are self-improving, love to learn on your own, and want to be the best professional you can be, then we might be a fit for you. These are questions to focus on, and to be honest with yourself about. Our studio is not for everyone, but for the people here it’s pretty great.
How long will it take for me to hear from you?
Due to volume, we do not respond to all applications. If you are selected for an interview, you will typically hear back from us within 1-2 weeks. However, on some occasions, we may keep your application on file and reach out much later than that when there is an open position that matches your qualifications.
If you apply and do not hear from us, don’t be discouraged and feel free to re-apply in 6-12 months when you have built up more experience in the relevant field.
I don't see any open positions for internships or co-ops, do you accept applications for those?
Yes — but on a per project and as needed basis. If you are local to Georgia, we do our best to post these opportunities on your school’s job board. However, feel free to contact us directly with your credentials and cover letter even if you don’t see a posting. We don’t accept interns or co-ops from outside Georgia.